20110110

Treatment of Mothers

I am human too.  Although I intend to be the best and to do everything right by my child, I have moments of poor judgment.  As I continue to raise my son and soon my new born child, I hope they can see past the mistakes I will make.  No one is perfect.  I know my mother wasn't.  I could easily find a reason to treat her poorly and to "get back" at her.  However, I see other things.  I see that she used to walk to work every morning to make barely enough to cover the rent for the month.  She worked at the hospital as a janitor and did so to the best of her abilities to keep her job.  Yes she was married at that time but her husband was very childish.  A mistake to keep him along for so many years but again who is perfect?  She went back to school for her CNA licenses.  A little bit more of pay but definitely more work.  I remember she would come home exhausted.  I also remember we would make a delicious dinner for us at night.  There were times when our refridgerator was just about empty: a gallon of milk, water, and one or two more items.  Money was really scarce!  Around that time my sister tried out for the cheerleading squad.  She made the team and somehow my mother came up with the money for her uniforms.  My siblings and I were always needing for something.  Those of you that are parents can understand the demands of school and the financial and moral support that goes with having school age children.  I am not going to say that she gave us everything we needed for school and for our activities; the money wasn't there.  However, she did sacrifice for us all the time. 

We hear stories of true poor mothers.  Mothers that neglected their children.  Mothers that dropped off their children at someone's house and disappeared.  How about extreme abuse such as the story of "The Boy Called It?"  You even have mothers that create a sex market with their own kids.

I understand if those children hold grudges on their mothers.  I understand if a child still feels abused by their mother and wants to keep a distance.  However it completely gets to me when children treat their mothers like crap because of human mistakes they can easily make themselves. 

I have learned from the mistakes of my mother.  I have valued the journey she has taken and keep it dear to my heart.  I've learned what not to do but I have also learned what to do during times of adversity.  I was a choice.  She chose to keep me and raise me.  I made it to my adult years.  I have been educated.  For that I am grateful.  For that I respect her.  For that I keep in contact with her.  For that she should always be treated well.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Treat your mothers well.

2 comments: