20101014

Life as we know it.

This Sunday I went to the movies and watched Life As We Know It.  I really enjoyed the movie but I found it very sad.  Tonight, while watching Private Practice the topic came up again.  Orphaned children.  What happens to your children if something were to happen to you?  I have had a Will since I was 19 years of age and I have thought long and hard about who I would leave my children with.  Can that change?  What happens if that person has a change of heart or like in the movie, the people you choose are conflicted about the life change they will have to endure by taking your children in? 

Death is something that we choose not to think about but I believe should be planned in advanced. 

I guess I am a soft heart at knowing children are in the system because conditions cannot permit them to have a home.  I know that it is okay for someone to choose not to help but I cannot help but feel like I am being selfish with what I have been given because I have yet to open my home to a child in need of a forever home. 

No child should suffer the loss of their parents at in early age but they should also not suffer the instability of not having a family either.  Be it blood or love.

3 comments:

  1. I had similar feelings when watching Private Practice as well. I felt Violet's pain, when she had to "give up" the idea of adopting Betsy. And pobrecita for her too!

    In Violet's case, she is married now and cannot make that kind of life changing decision alone. I think she did the right thing by considering her husband's feelings. What would you do if you were Violet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have done the same thing. My husband's concerns are greatly valued. The reason I would bring a child in is to give the child a home with caring parents. If my husband is not on board than that would defeat the whole purpose. Still would break my heart to know that we could have made a difference.

    ReplyDelete