20110221

Labeling

Kevin and I talked about my displeasure with labeling people I consider friends.  It isn't a quirk I picked up in my adult years.  I have disliked any form of favoritism with my friends since my grade school years.  I felt I had to follow the norm and I did label my friends as: friends, good friends, best friends and I absolutely hated the feeling that came with it.  All my friends are different.  They have their own personalities and I enjoy them for who they are.  For me to categories people with complete different traits is impossible.  Do you make a check list and the one that gets the most checks makes it to the status as number one friend? 

I couldn't and still cannot understand the exchange of place value on friends.  Today you are top dog, tomorrow you may be replaced since we had a fight.  Do you send a memo?  A letter? Dear You, You have been a stinking best friend lately.  I have decided to replace you with someone nicer.  Or the awkwardness of someone feeling you are their best friend and you don't value their friendship as much.  It is completely a strange practice to me.

Or how about those territorial friends.  We've all had those.  The ones that you are just about married to but you never proposed to.  You have a great time with these friends but when you want to hang out with someone else, they are completely upset and the tension becomes unbearable.  Super jealous friends.  These are the ones that usually consider you their best friends and damn it if they are going to share you.  That is the craziness that comes with labeling!

You are my friend or you are my family.  You do not have to be blood for me to consider you family.  Maybe that is my labeling of friends.  If you are not blood related and I consider you my sister, brother, cousin, something that is a forever attachment, I really value you as a person and enjoy having you in my life.  Family is Family, a permanent fixture.  You cannot be thrown out of the gene pool.  (although we sometimes would like to throw a few oddball relatives out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment